Federal Skilled Trades Program

Qualification in a skilled trade enable people to immigrate to Canada through The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).

To be eligible to apply, you must:
  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience in an eligible skilled trade;
  • Meet minimum language levels in English or French
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total of at least one year; or have a certificate of qualification in your skilled trade issued by a province or territory

Ontario has Express Entry streams called the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program that are specific to that province, should you choose to live in Ontario.

If you plan on living in Quebec, there is a different Quebec-selected skilled workers application process.

Important note: To be eligible for this program, you must have Skill Level B in the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). Work experience has to be in Skill Level B as well and must be for the last 5 years.

To Apply for the Federal Skilled Trades Worker (FSTP)

If you are eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Worker category, you can submit your profile to Express Entry.

For More Information:

  • Come to Canada - A tool that can help you figure out what your options are if you want to come to Canada as an immigrant, student, worker or visitor. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
  • IRCC Help Centre - A tool that helps answer frequently asked questions on immigration matters. It offers several ways of searching through the information available, including search by keyword. From Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
  • Access to Professions and Trades Guide - If you are an internationally educated professional or tradesperson coming to Canada or already in Ontario this guide can help you access your profession or trade. From Settlement.Org